History Of Greate Columbia
Columbia’s roots start with the settlement of American pioneers from Kentucky and Virginia in a mid 1800s district known as the Boonslick. Before 1815 settlement in the locale was limited to little log posts as a result of the danger of Native American assault amid the War of 1812. At the point when the war finished pilgrims went ahead foot, horseback, and wagon, regularly moving whole family units along the Boone’s Lick Road and here and there bringing oppressed African Americans. By 1818 obviously the expanded populace would require another province be made from regional Howard County. The Mouniteau Creek on the west and Cedar Creek on the east were clear characteristic limits.
Trusting it wouldn’t have been long until a district situate was picked, the Smithton Land Company was framed to buy more than 2,000 sections of land (8.1 km2) to set up the town of Smithton close to the present-day crossing point of Walnut and Garth. In 1819 Smithton was a little bunch of log lodges in an old woodland of oak and hickory; boss among them was the lodge of Richard Gentry, a trustee of the Smithton Company who might turn out to be first chairman of Columbia. In 1820 Boone County was shaped and named after the as of late perished wayfarer Daniel Boone. The Missouri Legislature delegated John Gray, Jefferson Fulcher, Absalom Hicks, Lawrence Bass, and David Jackson as chiefs to choose and build up a changeless area situate. Smithton never had in excess of twenty individuals, and it was immediately understood that well burrowing was troublesome on account of the bedrock.
Springs were found over the Flat Branch Creek, so in the Spring of 1821 Columbia was laid off and the occupants of Smithton moved their lodges to the new town. The main house in Columbia was worked by Thomas Duly in 1820 at what might wind up Fifth and Broadway. They renamed the settlement Columbia—an authentic name for the United States. Columbia’s lastingness was guaranteed when it was picked as province situate in 1821 and the Boone’s Lick Road was rerouted down Broadway.